Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Haiti Day Four

I spent the morning doing admin work for Pastor Debbie. We made a menu plan in French for the ladies who cook for us. It helped me learn a little of the formal language of Haiti. Children are taught Creole and French in school. Creole is only spoken in Haiti. It is a cross between a west African slave language and French colonist. It's very interesting. Linda is our housekeeper and speaks only Creole. Like many women, she didn’t finish school but went to work wherever she could to provide for her family. She is very funny and always smiling.
And now for the reality of Haiti. After lunch we distributed Manna packs to a girls home closer to town. Sam drove us and it’s a good thing because there is no address. We had to ask the vendors on the street where the home was. When we finally found the big iron gate, vendors had to move off the sidewalk so we could drive in. You would think that entering a gated home would be because there was something valuable inside. Well, there is value behind the gates, but not what you would think. This property still shows the scares of the earthquake. There was a pile of rubble in the middle and about 7 tents set up. About 60 girls between the ages of 6 and 19 call this home. They all lost family and homes in the quake and took refuge with Bishop Molier and a housemother. The girls were very malnourished and dehydrated. One especially was in bad shape.
I explained to the house mom about the food we brought in and that it will be very good for them to eat. I also told them about adding any vegetables or spices they wanted so its to there liking. The video crew interviewed one of the 19 year olds and did an amazing job talking to her about her life and hopes for Haiti. Many are appreciate of the help, but have lost faith in their government to pass the help on to the least of them.
When we got back, Pastor Debbie and I worked on mission of Foursquare Haiti. See my separate post.
Haiti matters. It is a country full of people who do not have a choice. There is 80% unemployment. The median age is 17.5 years old. They sit on the street selling whatever they can, what little vegetables they were able to harvest, clothes they found in a salvation pile. Garbage litters the streets. Goats walk the garbage piles. PETA members would have a heart attack. Nevertheless, Haitians have something indescribable in their character. There is a joy unspeakable.
Well its off to the shower and bed. Who knows what the next day will bring.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had quite a day. What was most moving for you as you shared the manna?

    Take good care of yourself. I love you.

    Harry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know if they find the Manna helpful. They look at it. I have learned that Haitians are not linear thinkers. They do not make progressive associations easily. My hope is that they like the food so they will eat it. I don't think they necessarily realize the nutritional content and that it will help them feel better. So in a sense I felt directive and adamant that they cook the food and add spices and vegetables to their liking. I pressed the need for them to eat the food. They are also very dehydrated. Clean drinking water is a precious commodity here. We have no idea how awful it is to be without a clean water source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all sounds good. You are seeing something in the Haitians that I saw in the two who lived with us. I wrote a poem about Haiti, of course. lol I am so happy that you are there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thrilled for you that God has blessed you with this great adventure. Debby, thank you for the love and grace you show to others. You are truly remarkable. I am sure you will come home leaving a piece of your heart with Haiti forever. I ask Harry everyday if he has heard the news from Haiti and he just beams with love and excitement over you. I pray your remainder of time in Haiti would be fruitful and I know you will come home changed. Can't wait to hear the stories.

    ReplyDelete