Sunday, January 23, 2011

Haiti Day Two

We started the day at church service. Pastor Guy’s congregation meets under a canopy next to the slab of cement that will one day be the new church building (once the final signature is gotten from the port master who was recently kidnapped). The service was 3 hours. I am not kidding. One hour of worship and the rest sharing and preaching. All in Creole I might add. The Haitians really know how to sing. All of them in full voice, hands raised and smiling. It was wonderful. One of the guys on our team told me this morning that God is very economical. This trip will not only benefit the Haitian, but us as well. Two for the price of one.
Here are some of the things I learned today:
I know why Kathy K puts a little water in her glass of ice.
You can wear high heeled sandals on gravel
Painted toes look okay with dusty feet.
Loose clothing works great for catching a breeze
After service we had a quick lunch at base camp then hopped in the taptap and headed off to a high place to view the whole city. We drove through the streets of Port au Prince and I am not kidding you. It is worse than the pictures show. People carve out a little spot on the sidewalk and sell whatever they have. The only people buying from them are other Haitians. Conditions are deplorable. At the top of the mountain, there were some vendors selling artwork (I bought one). I asked the Desulme Fritz (he spoke pretty good English) if he painted the picture. He says,”No, I buy from the artist.” Then he said, “I don’t lie, when you start lying you lose your power.” I got a picture of him.

We drove back the way we came. There is so much traffic and so many people on the streets. I was too sorry to take pictures. I didn’t want to embarrass them. The people are doing the best with what they got. Photographing them at their worst is disrespectful.
Blessings, more tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. Your sensitivity to their poverty mirrors the heart of God. He doesn't expose us to humiliation but covers us with His love. What an incredible experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my prayers and in my heart. Those people have had enough pictures taken of them already. Be safe under the protection of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete